Re: [Nolug] IMAP for home use

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 22:58:26 -0500

At 09:36 PM 5/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 20:56, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> > The Washington IMAP server works well enough, and its included on most
> > systems already. Best of all, there isn't any configuration needed usually
> > as it relies on system accounts. (It may be able to store account
> > information separately, but that would be an additional feature. Not
> sure.)
> > You should just be able to uncomment the imap line in inetd.conf.
>
>Great. Thanks. In debian, it's uw-imapd.

That's it then.

> > As far as LDAP, it really does help. You can use LDAP for a company-wide
> > address book accessible via Outlook or whatever, and you can use it for
> > other purposes as well. Were you looking at OpenLDAP?
>
>Well, it's just the wife & I using Evolution. We now have seperate
>address books, but I am hoping to use OpenLDAP to be able to merge
>them into 1.

Well, OpenLDAP is pretty painless to setup. I believe that they even have a
quick-start guide for using OpenLDAP for just this application in fact.

http://www.openldap.org

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
UNIX and Network Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
PGP Key available at http://www.us.pgp.net
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams