Re: [Nolug] redhat.com | Red Hat Launches Nation's First K-12 Red Hat Linux Education Program; Helps Improve Computing Access for All Students

From: Michael Flora <mrflora_at_ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 09:41:27 -0500

Ron Johnson wrote:

>What's needed for geekland success is inquisitiveness and logic.
>
>[...]
>

>The same reason why I think calculators should be kept out of all
>grade school math classes except for the highest courses, like
>calculus.

Actually, the advanced math courses usually do not demand an answer of
the kind that can be provided by a hand calculator (at least not yet).
 I'm referring to derived equations, integrals, etc.

Applications like Mathematica and Mathcad, on the other hand, can do
things far beyond my abilities even when I was at the peak of my
mathematical reasoning skills. I still use my 12-year-old Nextstation
as a Mathematica server, and it easily handles any calculus I throw at it.

System administration seems to require a different set of brain skills
than engineering or science. You have to know a lot and be able to
correlate what you know, but you rarely or never have to know more than
basic arithmetic.

M.R.F.

M.R.F.