Re: [Nolug] redhat.com | Red Hat Launches Nation's First K-12 Red Hat Linux Education Program; Helps Improve Computing Access for All Students

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 08 May 2002 00:40:34 -0500

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 22:55, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> At 09:28 PM 5/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 14:19, Joey Kelly wrote:
> > > http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2002/press_education2.html
> > > --
> >
> >Am I the only person who's education didn't suffer because
> >I wasn't exposed to computers starting in nursery school?
>
> I very much agree that there is an overemphasis on computers in schools
> these days. However, computers are definitely important, and they should be
> *integrated* into the learning process.

What's needed for basic userland success with computers is a
lack of fear, and that can be taught in that-which-was-typing-
but-now-teaches-jed (since it's _very_ light and modeless) classes.

What's needed for geekland success is inquisitiveness and logic.

However, now that I think about it, what really worries me about
computers in education is (1) the internet and (2) style and flash
over substance.

No, no, no. It's not porn, bomb-making and Naziism that worries
me about the internet, but search engines. It makes research too
easy: Point-and-drool, cut-and-paste, instead of going to the
library and poring over card catalogs and old books and magazines
and encyclopaedias.

The same reason why I think calculators should be kept out of all
grade school math classes except for the highest courses, like
calculus.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| You ask us the same question every day, and we give you    |
| the same answer every day.  Someday, we hope that you will |
| believe us...                                              |
|   Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter                           |