Re: [Nolug] redhat.com | Red Hat Launches Nation's First K-12 Red Hat Linux Education Program; Helps Improve Computing Access for All Students

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 10:57:25 -0500

At 12:40 AM 5/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 22:55, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> > At 09:28 PM 5/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> > >On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 14:19, Joey Kelly wrote:
>No, no, no. It's not porn, bomb-making and Naziism that worries
>me about the internet, but search engines. It makes research too
>easy: Point-and-drool, cut-and-paste, instead of going to the
>library and poring over card catalogs and old books and magazines
>and encyclopaedias.

I don't how using a card catalog is any better than using a search engine.
And as long as teachers require students to provide ample references from
solid sources, then the result is the same. What will probably happen is
that teachers will allow only so much material to be gathered using the
Internet. After all, the Internet, in this context, is just a really
elaborate encyclopedia.

>The same reason why I think calculators should be kept out of all
>grade school math classes except for the highest courses, like
>calculus.

I mostly agree. There are times though that using a calculator can reduce
drudgery and increase awareness of concepts rather than forcing students to
do routine calculations. Everything with moderation I guess is the phrase
of the day.

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
UNIX and Network Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
PGP Key available at http://www.us.pgp.net
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams