Re: Re: [Nolug] Connecting to AT&T Worldnet

From: jdtiede_at_bellsouth.net
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 12:38:58 -0400

Thanks to Mark Robinson's tip, I finally got AT&T running under RH7.2. The problems (mostly in communication with AT&T) were these:
1. They had given me the network id to try, but not told me what it was or that it had a permanent connection with this account. Ditto the password associated with the nid.
2. They were ignorant of the dialup configuration box, and web page in WURD that they push was written six years it makes no mention of it either, but the nid and its Lewis Carroll-like password have to be entered here, and not the e-mail password.
To sum up the situation, AT&T required ids and pws for logging into the net that are not the same as the e-mail uname and pword. My friend, and I suspect many other AT&T users, have no idea that these exist.
   It all points up the fact that better help can be obtained from advanced users than from help desk people who may only be making minimum wage!
    Thanks again, Mark.