Re: [Nolug] CD setup

From: carlos <carlos_at_cancansystems.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 13:57:08 -0500

Follow Directv's step. Connect modem to phone line and to router with the
cables provided by Directv.
If your router is a Linux computer, make sure that the NIC for Directv is
setup as DHCP.
Setup the DNS servers as 207.155.184.72 and 206.173.119.72 and setup IP
forwarding.
Use the setup steps outlined by Directv to setup your modem.
I use IPchains (or IPtables) to masquerade and control who can access the
Internet on the network. I put this commands on the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
    ipchains -f forward -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 -j MASQ
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IPaddress of the machine I want to grant
internet access to. (you can use xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24 for a full set of C
addresses).
On every PC I setup the gateway as the IP address of my Linux computer, and
as DNS servers, the ones above mentioned, and voila everything is ready.

I have a 100 user network using Directv that way.