[Nolug] Terabyte servers on the cheap...

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 22 Jun 2002 16:21:38 -0500

Now that 80GB HHDs are $85 and 512MB PC133 SDRAMs are $54
(both from Pricewatch and incl s/h), it's cheaper than ever...

13x 80GB HDDs (data) $1,105
1x 20GB HDD (/boot,/usr)$ 50
3x 512MB PC133 SDRAM $ 162
Server case + PS $ 350
Athlon XP2000 + MB $ 250
3x EIDE PCI controllers $ 75
Cheap video card $ 25
cables $ 100
floppy, CD-RW $ 100
                         -----
                         2,217

Of course, we won't need KB or mouse because this is a server
and we'll just ssh into it (since we're using Linux or *BSD).

By comparison:
In the 06 Feb 1996 PC Magazine, on the back page is a comparably
priced Dell PC (price-adjusted, since it has a 15" monitor).
Dell Dimension XPS P133c for $2,499:
- 133MHz Pentium (not even MMX...)
- 16MB EDO RAM
- 256KB cache
- 1GB HDD
- 15" monitor
- Video card: PCI, 64 bit, 1MB video RAM
- 6x CD-ROM drive
- Win 95 and Office Pro 95

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net         |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81     |
| "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea   |
|  which could only have originated in California."           |
|  --Edsger Dijkstra                                          |