Re: [Nolug] Terabyte servers on the cheap...

From: Michael <mogmios_at_mlug.missouri.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 23:46:28 -0500 (CDT)

A couple months ago when I actually had a job for a while I was seriously
thinking of buying and installing a whole case (30 units) of 100gig drives
in a server for myself. The problem I was running into was finding a case
able to handle that many drives that didn't cost a fortune and had a good
enough cooling system. I think I had decided that it'd be cheaper/easier
to buy a couple cheaper machines with about 10 hdd's per machine and tie
them together with NFS. My only real problem was that I didn't think that
Linux's LVM could work over NFS. Does anyone know of a way to implement
the LVM over a network? Not that all 30 drives need to appear as one
logical device but it'd be nice for some big projects. I figure 3
terabytes of space sitting in my living room would be a major geek high
and I really could/would use that much disk space so it'd be a cool
project.

The girl who stoops to conquer usually wears a low-cut dress.

Michael McGlothlin <mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu>
http://mlug.missouri.edu/~mogmios/projects/