Re: [Nolug] Terabyte servers on the cheap...

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 23 Jun 2002 20:45:04 -0500

On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 23:46, Michael wrote:
> A couple months ago when I actually had a job for a while I was seriously
> thinking of buying and installing a whole case (30 units) of 100gig drives
> in a server for myself. The problem I was running into was finding a case
> able to handle that many drives that didn't cost a fortune and had a good
> enough cooling system. I think I had decided that it'd be cheaper/easier
[snip]

1. I wouldn't be surprised if you blew a fuse when firing up
   all those disks. So, get a electrician (to stay in code!)
   to run you a new 40 amp line (thicker wire?) to the living
   room.
2. The noise from the 30 spinning disks would be significant.
3. The noise from the cooling units would also be significant.
4. The heat expelled from the case would raise the ambient
   room temperature and have to be eliminated by running the
   AC longer, generating more noise, and raising the electric
   bill.
5. Find some place new for the stereo, TV, CDs, DVDs, tapes,
   sofa, etc, since the noise from that 3GB server will be
   so loud.
6. An air filter sitting nearby couldn't hurt, either.

Of course, you could put in in your bedroom, and have the
perfect white noise generator...

Depressing, isn't it?