Re: [Nolug] Terabyte servers on the cheap...

From: Michael <mogmios_at_mlug.missouri.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:45:09 -0500 (CDT)

> 1. I wouldn't be surprised if you blew a fuse when firing up
> all those disks. So, get a electrician (to stay in code!)
> to run you a new 40 amp line (thicker wire?) to the living
> room.

Yeah I'd have to. This house is old and the electrical wiring is a little
crazy. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to run special wiring to
support my computers electrical load though.

> 2. The noise from the 30 spinning disks would be significant.

True, assuming that they all had an ongoing load. As I write data far more
often than I read data and do mostly linear writes so that the disk heads
don't have to move back and forth a lot the noise probably wouldn't be to
bad. Besides I usda live next to a major international airport so I like
the noise. ;)

> 3. The noise from the cooling units would also be significant.

Again not a problem. ;)

> 4. The heat expelled from the case would raise the ambient
> room temperature and have to be eliminated by running the
> AC longer, generating more noise, and raising the electric
> bill.

Maybe this would be a good time to build a computer room with it's own AC.
Smaller room so there is less of an area to cool and the thing would have
it's own thermastat so that the rest of the house wouldn't be like ice.
Would be a nice use for a walkin closet. Would also eliminate noise
problems.

On the other hand during the winter this would save me having to buy a
spare space ehater. ;)_

> 5. Find some place new for the stereo, TV, CDs, DVDs, tapes,
> sofa, etc, since the noise from that 3GB server will be
> so loud.

Not a problem. Can always turn these up louder than the server noise. ;)

> 6. An air filter sitting nearby couldn't hurt, either.

Again true and again a good reason to have a specialized server room.

> Of course, you could put in in your bedroom, and have the
> perfect white noise generator...
>
> Depressing, isn't it?

What's really depressing is that I don't really have a bedroom or any use
for a white noise generator. I don't have a bed but I'd consider spending
$4000 on a studly new file server. Boy the ladies will be lined up for me!
;)