Re: [Nolug] Terabyte servers on the cheap...

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 24 Jun 2002 13:51:16 -0500

On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 21:45, Michael wrote:
[snip]
> > 4. The heat expelled from the case would raise the ambient
> > room temperature and have to be eliminated by running the
> > AC longer, generating more noise, and raising the electric
> > bill.
>
> Maybe this would be a good time to build a computer room with it's own AC.
> Smaller room so there is less of an area to cool and the thing would have
> it's own thermastat so that the rest of the house wouldn't be like ice.
> Would be a nice use for a walkin closet. Would also eliminate noise
> problems.

A co-worker's home office is right behind a stair well, so he
put his Sparc, 2 Alphas, numerous PCs, a dozen old 4GB SCSI
disks, routers, and switches plus AC and air filter in the
under-stairs closet, then drilled a hole in the wall to run
cables to his office.

THAT is the perfect setup.

> On the other hand during the winter this would save me having to buy a
> spare space ehater. ;)_
>
> > 5. Find some place new for the stereo, TV, CDs, DVDs, tapes,
> > sofa, etc, since the noise from that 3GB server will be
> > so loud.
>
> Not a problem. Can always turn these up louder than the server noise. ;)

I'm sure it wouldn't matter for Rock'n'Roll, but my old ears are
starting to fade (too much Rock'n'Roll in my mis-spent youth),
and I need quiet when watching TV to hear all the words.

[snip]
> What's really depressing is that I don't really have a bedroom or any use
> for a white noise generator. I don't have a bed but I'd consider spending
> $4000 on a studly new file server. Boy the ladies will be lined up for me!

Dumb question: what would you _put_ in that 3,000GB server? I've
got 1,802 MP3s (all legally ripped from my own collection) and
they only take 7.5GB...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net         |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81     |
| "Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea   |
|  which could only have originated in California."           |
|  --Edsger Dijkstra                                          |