Re: [Nolug] Terabyte servers on the cheap...

From: Michael <mogmios_at_mlug.missouri.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:28:03 -0500 (CDT)

> A co-worker's home office is right behind a stair well, so he
> put his Sparc, 2 Alphas, numerous PCs, a dozen old 4GB SCSI
> disks, routers, and switches plus AC and air filter in the
> under-stairs closet, then drilled a hole in the wall to run
> cables to his office.
>
> THAT is the perfect setup.

I knew someone that had a limo with an entire section actting as his
server room. He had more computing power in his car than many public
schools. He also had a satelite uplink for net access back when such
things were still impossibly expensive. Lucky bastard. Wish I had some
rich relatives that could die.

> I'm sure it wouldn't matter for Rock'n'Roll, but my old ears are
> starting to fade (too much Rock'n'Roll in my mis-spent youth),
> and I need quiet when watching TV to hear all the words.

That's why they invented wireless headphones. Better yet use iglasses. ;)

> Dumb question: what would you _put_ in that 3,000GB server? I've
> got 1,802 MP3s (all legally ripped from my own collection) and
> they only take 7.5GB...

My hobby is collecting the Internet. Sort of a Google in my bedroom.
Harddrive space and bandwidth are my only limiting factors. With three
terabytes of space I could have about 1.5 terabytes of redundant storage
to fill with documents, images, music, and movies.. and best of all.. lots
of reference data describing all the files. ;) Then I'd just have to find
a good source of bandwidth and I'd be all set. Even a cable modem provides
a pretty decent supply of files if you write a good enough spider to
collect them. If I ever had a fast two-way connection then I'm pretty sure
my collection would be a major P2P fountainhead. Mostly I do it out of a
sort of historical interest though.. the same as someone cataloging
thousands of species of insects. I have 100-200 gigs of files so far and
would have a lot more if I had the diskspace to store more. I catalog
everything in detail and work on apps for making collecting and cataloging
the files more effecient. If only I could figure out how to get
sponsorship for such a project I'd be all set. ;)