[Nolug] Re: [brlug-general] FreeBSD and aggregating DSL line bandwidth..

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:08:49 -0500

Some corrections are in order. I am not trying to bond the two DSL lines. I
wrote that too late at night and too fast.

My client has a website, and is hitting the limits of the current DSL line.
They need to handle more client connections. The client has made the
decision to purchase another DSL line so we can use both. They will not
colocate the servers.

So, we need to be able to handle load-balancing/sharing the two DSL lines
for upstream (to the client) and downstream (to the web server) traffic. I
can handle downstream by using DNS round-robin (other suggestions are
welcome), as we are not worried so much about each client alternating
between links for each connection, but just basically assigning each client
to a particular link. Because of client-side DNS caching I don't see any
work-around for this. Now, with a web-server, it is the upstream (to the
client) traffic that is large. So, that is what we need to really focus on
balancing/sharing across the two links.

I am pretty sure that FreeBSD can do this. However, I haven't actually seen
this done. Does anyone have experience doing this? I'd like to know what
troubles you had and any caveats. If you used a hardware solution, what did
you use, and what did you like/dislike about it?

Regards, Dustin

At 12:39 AM 7/11/2002 -0500, Dustin Puryear wrote:
>Has any used FreeBSD to bond two DSL lines? We will have no support from
>the ISP, so the solution must work entirely on our end. If you have done
>this, what was your solution? We are investigating whether to use our
>existing FreeBSD router to accomplish this task, or to purchased dedicated
>hardware, such as a solution from Nexland.
>
>Speaking of dedicated hardware, what about your experience with that? I
>have a client that has a low budget, and needs to bond two ADSL lines
>together. The downstream is 600 Kbit/s and upstream is about double that
>on each line.
>
>Does anyone have any good experiences or recommendations to share on
>hardware solutions for bonding DSL lines?
>
>The goal is to increase the bandwidth to the client's in-house website.
>Because these are DSL lines from the Sprint running over BellSouth's last
>mile, we do not see any redundancy benefits. Some kind of intelligent
>fail-over would be nice, but in general, if one goes down, both will be
>down. We are definitely concentrating on increasing bandwidth.
>
>Please note that colocating is not an option for this client.
>
>Regards, Dustin
>
>---
>Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
>Puryear Information Technology