[Nolug] FreeBSD and aggregating DSL line bandwidth..

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 00:39:00 -0500

Has any used FreeBSD to bond two DSL lines? We will have no support from
the ISP, so the solution must work entirely on our end. If you have done
this, what was your solution? We are investigating whether to use our
existing FreeBSD router to accomplish this task, or to purchased dedicated
hardware, such as a solution from Nexland.

Speaking of dedicated hardware, what about your experience with that? I
have a client that has a low budget, and needs to bond two ADSL lines
together. The downstream is 600 Kbit/s and upstream is about double that on
each line.

Does anyone have any good experiences or recommendations to share on
hardware solutions for bonding DSL lines?

The goal is to increase the bandwidth to the client's in-house website.
Because these are DSL lines from the Sprint running over BellSouth's last
mile, we do not see any redundancy benefits. Some kind of intelligent
fail-over would be nice, but in general, if one goes down, both will be
down. We are definitely concentrating on increasing bandwidth.

Please note that colocating is not an option for this client.

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology