Re: [Nolug] Backing up linux

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:45:33 -0500

Petri Laihonen <pietu@weblizards.net> writes:

> Without having done any excessive research on this, I would assume
> some of the "md" files need to be copied over with the actual
> drives....

My experience with recent mdadm (on Debian) is that if you provide the
UUIDs in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf, it can scan the partitions and
reassemble the raid automatically. Again, on Debian, upgrading from an
older mdadm was fairly seamless.

If you have a couple of spare disks, I'd install FC4 on them with RAID 1
and perform the upgrade. See what is required to do the move before
doing it live on your production box.

Some people I have a lot of respect for prefer software Raid to hardware
raid in larger corporate environments because moving as much as possible
to software gives you more flexibility in how you can operate things and
removes the RAID card as a Single Point of Failure.

--
http://hexmode.com/
GPG Fingerprint: 7E15 362D A32C DFAB E4D2  B37A 735E F10A 2DFC BFF5