Re: [Nolug] Well...it's official. He did it.

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:37:37 -0500

Jeremy Sliwinski (mailing list account) wrote:
> B. Estrade wrote:
>> Well, duh :)
>>
>> I did find the last bit of the article amusing:
>>
>> "Ongoing development has been relocated to kernel.org, but the effort
>> could be doomed to bitrot because developers don't seem particularly
>> interested in taking a stab at maintaining the code. Reiser's chief
>> legacy his filesystem and the large body of research he has
>> contributed to filesystem theory could be forgotten because of
>> general lack of interest in keeping it alive."
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 08:56:34PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080708-reiserfs-fading-into-obscurity-as-maker-leads-cops-to-corpse.html

> It is a shame that the community as a whole is abandoning the code.
> From the comparison chart linked in another post on this topic, Reiser
> Filesystems seem to be filled with some features that other
> filesystems lack and that are useful.
>
> Seriously, if the guy had died of cancer or in a car wreck, would the
> community be so keen on just letting the FS die of bitrot ?

I think murdering your wife has nothing to do with it. File systems is a
"technology" and the other stuff is more like antisocial behavior. We do
not know exactly how many other computer scientists are antisocial. (Are
there chances that some might be..... :0) )

In the chart, there were probably 90% of the file systems I have never
heard of. How many of those are dying or already dead? I believe a
community as a whole, tends to pick up the default file system chosen
for their distro as it will work sufficiently for the purpose. Then if
someone wants to do something special, which requires another type of
file system, then they go with it.

Personally, I've tried Riser FS once and did not notice anything special
with it. Worked exactly like the other file systems I have used.

Petri