Re: [Nolug] Music meeting?

From: Michael Jeter <michael.damian.jeter_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:16:04 -0500

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:21 PM, Chris Jones <techmaster@gmail.com> wrote:

> . As far as what's best, it depends on what you're doing.
> If you're doing wavetable synthesis aka rompler, then digital is
> best. There's just no way that you're going to produce a very good
> sounding piano with analogue synthesis or FM synthesis. But, for
> electronic music where you need a lot of buzzing sounds, analog is
> absolutely unbeatable.

Digital synths are now catching up, but the first generation sacrificed many
real - time performance controllers, such as ADSR/Filter controls.

When I work with synths in live performance, I do not use the imitatively,
so I do not use them to reproduce other instruments, and I do not create
¨buzzing¨ sounds, but as unique instruments unto themselves, so I always
enjoy developing my own sounds.

The first wave of digital synths did not allow me that option.

Michael Jeter