[Nolug] Re: [nolug] [nolug] adsl

From: johns_at_sstar.com
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 02 15:23:56 -0500

Hi Joey.

> I'm not sure what a 'simple bridging connection is," ...

Bridging means no routing. In this case it also means no extra level of
encapsulation (PPPoE or PPPoA). In other words, just a simple, EtherNet LAN
type of connection.

Indeed, BellSouth started out this way with ADSL originally, but they now use
PPPoE. I understand that they are gradually upgrading the older installs.

There are pro's and con's to both methods. Bridging is generally easier to set
up. However, most low-end routers will do the PPPoE for you, thus eliminating
the extra work. Connecting a single machine with just a modem and no router is
still easier with Bridging, however, since otherwise you have to load some
special drivers.

Considering that you have already loaded one driver for the USB modem, this can
get to be a problem when you upgrade your operating system and need newer
versions of all the drivers. It's one of the reasons that I generally
recommend using an external EtherNet modem. You eliminate the need for loading
the USB driver at the expense of a NIC card for your computer. It also allows
you to easily add a router later so that you can connect multiple computers.

But I'm getting off topic. :-) Bridging has only one disadvantage. It makes
you part of a "LAN" which is connected to your ISP. There are more security
issues with such a connection than with a routed link. This problem was solved
when Cisco (and others, I don't know?) came out with RBE, Routed-Bridged
Ethernet. To the user (you) it looks like a simple bridged connection. The
ISP treats it as routed, however, with a little special handling. No more
"broadcast" traffic, etc, which you would see on a LAN.

You will find all of these schemes in common use by ADSL (and DSL in general)
providers. At Southern Star I started with straight bridging, like BellSouth,
but then I went to RBE. Scott - How do the cable companies run? I believe
that they started with straight bridging also. I'm not sure how it's done now,
however.

> At any rate, whatever will let me most easily connect a
> single machine thru FastAccess is what I'm looking for. I have the
> SpeedTouch USB modem (external) supplied by BellSouth.

I think that you will find that BellSouth doesn't offer support for Linux.
Also, if you want to run multiple users you need a business account and their
modem/router. Or, for a home account, for an extra fee, they will support it
if you use their modem/router. I'm not fond of the Cayman routers that
BellSouth uses, by the way. They do the job but they cost too much.

My recommendation to you is to get an external Ethernet ADSL modem. That will
simplify your life some and allow for easy expansion. If you shop on eBay you
can pick up a used Alcatel SpeedTouch Home or an Efficient Networks 5360 for
about $75.

If you want to stay with BellSouth, I'd also get a router and let it do the
PPPoE for me. Personally, I'd by my own but realize that BellSouth won't
support any but theirs. The LinkSys BEFSR41 is a very popular model for about
$70 if you shop, and it includes a 4 port switch!

If you aren't married to BellSouth, then consider switching to an ADSL supplier
who runs RBE. You won't need the router. You can just plug the modem into a
NIC card. Configure the NIC with an IP address and that's about it.

I hope this helps.

John

         % John Souvestre Southern Star www.sstar.com %
         % johns@sstar.com 504-888-3348 New Orleans, LA %