Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 17:15:27 -0600

On 12/06/08 15:07, Friedrich Gurtler wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Python is a great learning scripting language, but new programmers *need*
>> to know the hardware. Assembly programming, preferably in MS-DOS or CP/M,
>> would be best.
>>

> Indeed, and don't let them get near a database before they have written
> their own database engine. I mean, that might lead them to write something
> less than perfectly optimal. We couldn't have that.

What stupidity.

Having to write rather complete binary tree and hash libraries has
greatly aided me as a DBA, even though I've never had to use such a
hand-rolled library in 20+ years.

> Slide rules forever! =P

Everyone on this list who lived thru Katrina know how dependent upon
technology that Americans have become.

Knowing how to use slide rules and magnetic compasses, read a map,
start fires without matches, etc, etc are all very useful skills.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA