Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 22:30:46 -0600

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 12/06/08 17:26, B. Estrade wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 05:21:54PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Do you *know* any assembly? If you did (only a modest knowledge is
>>> needed), then I'm positive that you'd change your tune.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> I am not saying it is worthless or uninspiring. I just think that
>> it is more on the advanced side of learning programming rather
> > than the beginning side.
>
> Which is why I never said that assembler should be the first language
> you learn.
>
> But after a couple of years...
As a "first" language, I have written a small program with assembly
before I ever got to do anything with any other language. The biggest
problem with that was a required certain level of math knowledge, which
I don't have. A very simple program quickly became way too complex
because of needed math.

Can I do the same program again with assembly.... hell no.... I don't
have a slightest clue anymore of where to even begin. (Excluding google)
However, I know that the same "program" I made, can be done with PHP a
lot faster, and a lot simpler. (+ nice web interface as a bonus.....)

Petri