Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 22:43:21 -0600

> Based on my experience, one should only use C++ if they are able to take advantage of its features. Too often I see people picking up C++ (or the language de jour) because of popularity. The result, in the case of C++, is that you get C-style programs written in a convoluted way. You're not missing anything by not being on the C++ boat.

The reason I was interested about C++ because our SMPP clients are
programmed with it. Unfortunately they are windows only, and I wanted
Linux versions. I did not expect to learn enough of it in the short
period of time to make the programs, but at least an ability to follow
the code of someone else doing the job.

Another reason was that the programs need to be able to multithread and
be wicked fast..... I have since heard that even Java programs can be
made fast after the initial startup time.

The eternal question about making fast and efficient programs seems to
depend on so many different factors, that there simply aren't a single
programming language over others. Just gotta use the one most suitable
for the task, and one has knowledge of such best "tool".

Petri