Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 03:44:31 -0600

On 12/06/08 22:43, Petri Laihonen wrote:
[snip]

> Another reason was that the programs need to be able to multithread and
> be wicked fast.....

Threaded programming can be really hazardous, because:

a) in Windows (and sometimes in Unix) they all run in the same
address space, and an errant pointer in thread A can stomp on
something in thread B, and

b) you need to be very careful to avoid race conditions.

> I have since heard that even Java programs can be
> made fast after the initial startup time.
>
> The eternal question about making fast and efficient programs seems to
> depend on so many different factors, that there simply aren't a single
> programming language over others. Just gotta use the one most suitable
> for the task, and one has knowledge of such best "tool".

PL/I

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA