Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself - SMPP client

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 08:39:18 -0600

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 12/06/08 22:43, Petri Laihonen wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Another reason was that the programs need to be able to multithread and
>> be wicked fast.....
>
> Threaded programming can be really hazardous, because:
>
> a) in Windows (and sometimes in Unix) they all run in the same address
> space, and an errant pointer in thread A can stomp on something in
> thread B, and
>
> b) you need to be very careful to avoid race conditions.

There is a remote possibility that I may have misunderstood the meaning
of multithreading, but the one below is one of the main functions of an
SMPP client.
- The ability to establish 2-way communications via socket.
- There are 2 modes, BTX/BTR (uses 2 sockets, one receives the other one
transmits, however both do acks, thus in real life must be somewhat
2-way. BTRX handles both directions via one socket.
- Amount of connections via one client program is normally one to two,
but could be n. (so far highest we had has been 10 BTX/BTR connections)
- Communications are most often synchronous, however more and more, the
SMSCs we would connect to, can be capable of asynchronous transactions,
thus needed as well to increase efficiency.
- naturally also all the activity according to SMPP 4.2, 4.3, and 5.0
standards.
- Some additional goodies for manipulating the messages. (Currently we
have our own scripting language for in and out traffic.)

Therefore, does the above require multithreading or not?
Any suggestions of what programming language would be the most suitable one?

Petri