Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 03:25:56 -0600

On 12/06/08 23:32, Dennis J Harrison Jr wrote:
> Ron, you sound like a friend of mine. He is constantly preaching to
> me how much more math I should learn to write better programs. The
> only thing I can say is:

If he says that the purpose is to help instill mental rigor, then
I'd agree. Nothing more than integral calculus is needed, though.

> What is the real world benefit for me to write a program that runs 20%
> to 300% 'faster'. When 50% of the current speed is more then enough?

You're completely missing the point. The purpose of "knowing
hardware" is to instill a respect for limits.

> You can argue resource management all day long. However I take those
> things into consideration. Most of my programs have very limited
> client side footprints. I know throwing more hardware at a
> performance issue is barbaric. But I have not had to go there yet.
> We have SO MUCH head room on our infrastructure for our current
> customer base... I can't see a reason to spend time making it more
> efficient when I could spend time adding useful (to humans) code
> instead.

I *could* read that as "the hardware's so powerful, who gives a
rat's arse about the quality of the source code".

But I'm sure that's not what you meant... Is it?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA