Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself - possible android app

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 10:36:39 -0600

One of the first ones would be this.....
To put it simply. The app would behave primarily as a content browser.
- Can be branded / perhaps display banner ads
- Multi lingual
- Browser would display content dynamically from a backend server, most
likely via XML feed. (perhaps SSL encrypted)
- Most graphics would naturally be built in.
- Preview possibility for audio content, but securely so that it can not
be easily stolen
- Ability to order / purchase - download - install/set as ringtone or
wallpaper etc... from within the app. (purchase/payment control is
handled on the backend server)
- If needed, launch the native wap/web browser
- As small footprint as possible

We actually did have app very much like this written in java, but the
biggest problem there are the phones themselves. Key mappings vary
between countries / phone models / phone manufacturers. Another drawback
with the app was that it needed a windows executable to work as a proxy.
(STOOOPED thing!!!!, whomever decided/created that monstrosity.) + I
have no access to the source code.

Usage:
A customer or Operator installs the app in the phone. After launching
the application, they should be able to choose between the content
types. Then browse available content in each type. Each content type
also have categories, which the user may choose to use to limit the
selection. Search function lets them further make finding the desired
content easier. Eventually if a desired content was found, the purchase
and acquisition of the content should be as effortless as possible.
Perhaps like only hitting a "buy" button.

Some of the background activity:
The program should be able to send some information about the phone, as
eventually there will be multiple different android based devices
available. Also it is important to know the phone number of the
customer..... If this can not be automatically detected, then a
customer should be able to input it via configuration or something
similar. (Some sort of verification process is needed if customer has to
input the number by themselves.)

Eventually there may be many others, as the original ideas mature....

Petri