Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Dennis J Harrison Jr <dennisharrison_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 10:52:34 -0600

> It is barbaric indeed. I'll have to borrow that quip some time :).

You are very welcome to it :)

Actually, my biggest overhead issue right now is storage. We have
hundreds of kids (per school) adding ~3.2MB each, 5 days a week.

Which is a bear in itself. Then we need backup. We are playing with
time of retention per dollar metrics right now to figure out what to
offer the customers.

This happens to be one of those problems we felt could be 'worked out'
during dev. And while we had some " Really Neat Ideas " (tm) on using
various CDN's to handle transcoding and active (cache headers) storage
while we rolled the objects not woken in x time from y time based on
popularity (time in between transactions and views measured against
views) into slower cheaper storage. ALL sorts of problems have
cropped up :)

The main one being that we have to handle our own transcoding because
the solutions offered by akamai, internap and limelight just don't cut
the mustard for the amount of content we are pushing to them.