Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself - transcoding

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:29:46 -0600

> Actually, my biggest overhead issue right now is storage. We have
> hundreds of kids (per school) adding ~3.2MB each, 5 days a week.

Have looked at the possibility of a cloud file?
15c/Gb, drops to 14c/Gb after 30Tb.
http://www.mosso.com/
> Which is a bear in itself. Then we need backup. We are playing with
> time of retention per dollar metrics right now to figure out what to
> offer the customers.
>

> The main one being that we have to handle our own transcoding because
> the solutions offered by akamai, internap and limelight just don't cut
> the mustard for the amount of content we are pushing to them.

What software are you using for transcoding? (I don't remember the one
we just bought at school, but it's supposed to handle pretty much all
formats currently available). At FTCA/UNO we are in a process of setting
up a system to which Film students can send their video edits for
transcoding and storage for online presentation video blogs etc... There
are other additional things we are building around this as well.....

As far as I've understood, akamai and such are distribution points, and
that's where they are strong. I would still probably handle all encoding
and transcoding on our own system.

Petri