Re: [Nolug] Python : Confusion

From: Dennis J Harrison Jr <dennisharrison_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 11:27:19 -0600

Wow. You know your stuff Brett.

Thank you for correcting me on the definition of scripting language.
And I thought being able to roll your own executeables was enough.
After trying to think of why I would be right... I give up the goat
:) (I also thought that perl was no longer considered a scripting
language only. Because of this.)

There is a clear distinction.

I also thought that procedural langs were any of them that could be
used procedurally :)

Why the snub on OOP however?

The main benefit for me is not having to use so much boiler plate to
set up my classes. And I much prefer using object graphs to organize
data (zope).
But yes, this is a personal choice. And I don't think that OOP is
'superior'. But, rather, better for me in time spent and I love the
syntax. However... I liked LISP.

You shouldn't use OO just because you can. But there are plenty of
cases where it saves time and effort, with no costs otherwise.
Or is that not an agreeable point?

I also agree about python not being the end all be all. I am not a
fan boy. We got on this whole train because we were talking about
languages to learn. I maintain that time spent learning python gives
you more programming juice per hour then any other language I can
think of at that level (novice-intermediate).

What is your favorite? :)