Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Dennis J Harrison Jr <dennisharrison_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 11:39:30 -0600

I don't dismiss knowing the hardware.

I have (and will again I am sure) had to squeeze every last ounce of
performance out of code. For me, there is a point where I don't see a
real world return in rewriting functional code to make it more
efficient. One of my customers writes testing software (Frank Cohen).
 And we tune things until they are fast enough. I appreciate the
drive (and the motivation behind it) to make every bit of code as
efficient as possible. So we can actually appreciate the
responsiveness moores law should afford us. I do my part :)

I wouldn't consider something that took hours to do what could be done
in minutes; correct and well-coded.

I just don't think that learning asm first (as I took your original
email about this) should be a requirement. But, rather, a supplement
instead. (Which you have later clarified as your view). So.... we
agree? ;)

I do know who I will be consulting about performance issues when my
limited knowledge of higher level math can't immediately solve the
problem.