Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:43:12 -0600

On 12/07/08 11:15, Petri Laihonen wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]

>> Since I also value correctness and maintainability, we seem to be
>> saying the same thing.
>>
>> But... as a DBA, I've (and rejected from production) seen lots of
>> functionally correct, well-coded software that used horrible and/ or
>> inappropriate algorithms that change the run in hours, when a correct
>> algorithm would run in minutes or seconds.
>>
>> The programmers who consistently write such code are usually young,
>> and always have little knowledge and or care about the "guts" (h/w,
>> RDBMS, layout of data) of the system.
>>
>> That's why I get cranky when people dismiss knowing the h/w.
>>
> Is it the program code, or DB indexing.
>
> INDEXING INDEXING INDEXING INDEXING INDEXING !!!!

TANSTAAFL.

Indexing adds overhead, slowing down inserts/updates/deletes, and,
if you care anything about ACID, causes locking.

Also, there are (at least in the RDBMS that we use) two kinds of
indexes, hashed and b-tree, which are targeted at significantly
different work flow.

> I've learned this one hard way......
>
> This reminds me about, how to hell does one learn about things you don't
> know even exist....... The hard way, and with some luck and time.

Or school/classes/training.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA