Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 15:09:39 -0500

"B. Estrade" <estrabd@gmail.com> writes:

> I think that actual problem is that sub-par implementations tend to
> use sub-par algorithms, which usually end up running thousands of
> times slower than they have to - even on the fastest current
> hardware. Never forget how vulnerable hardware is to poor solutions.

And when a program uses a sub-par algorithm, it doesn't matter too much
if it is written in an interpretted language or assembly.

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/DOLLARS-and-SENSE.aspx

The story above tells of an incredibly stupid algorithm written in
assembly that took a quarter of an hour to do simple things like load an
invoice. It clearly shows that getting closer to the machine is not a
panacea, and that cargo-cult programming can overcome any speed
improvements in your hardware or language of choice.

Mark.