Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 08:31:32 -0600

>> Sorry, I just realized that the about 100Gb is all the data, not only
>> binary data.
>>
>> I'm backing up to another computer in the same network.
>
> At the same physical location?
The daily ones yes. I would not be able to do the same amount over the
internet to any of the servers I manage anyways.

>> BTW. The first database I have ever actually used was Postgres.
>
> And you left for MySQL???? Maybe it *is* true that Finns are crazy!

Yeah! crazy feels good!
I did not leave Postgres for MySql. MySql just happened to be the choice
of those who created our platform backend system. I would say that at
the time since the speed is an issue, it was a right choice. Most likely
it would still be the right choice since postgres lacks many functions
we use. (I did not realize this until yesterday after reading postgres
vs. mysql comparison in wiki) Even for the future, if I ever choose we
need data clustering, I would still feel more comfortable going with
MySql cluster version. With Cluster version, I would use the combination
of memory and harddrive storage. Using memory only is not feasible to me
in terms of stored binary data.

Petri