Re: [Nolug] Introducing myself

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 08:47:26 -0600

On 12/08/08 08:31, Petri Laihonen wrote:
>>> Sorry, I just realized that the about 100Gb is all the data, not only
>>> binary data.
>>>
>>> I'm backing up to another computer in the same network.
>> At the same physical location?
> The daily ones yes. I would not be able to do the same amount over the
> internet to any of the servers I manage anyways.

External disk drives (or, more expensive, tape drives).

>>> BTW. The first database I have ever actually used was Postgres.
>> And you left for MySQL???? Maybe it *is* true that Finns are crazy!
>>
> Yeah! crazy feels good!
> I did not leave Postgres for MySql. MySql just happened to be the choice
> of those who created our platform backend system.

Nothing you can do about that...

> I would say that at
> the time since the speed is an issue, it was a right choice.

Given the choice between speed and data integrity, speed is over-rated.

> Most likely
> it would still be the right choice since postgres lacks many functions
> we use.

Ah, "vendor" lock-in. Don't you just love it!!!

> (I did not realize this until yesterday after reading postgres
> vs. mysql comparison in wiki)

Which wiki did you look at?

> Even for the future, if I ever choose we
> need data clustering, I would still feel more comfortable going with
> MySql cluster version. With Cluster version, I would use the combination
> of memory and harddrive storage. Using memory only is not feasible to me
> in terms of stored binary data.

With modern hardware, you shouldn't need clustering for anything but
fail-over, and PostgreSQL does that...

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA