Re: [Nolug] Who usually shows up for meetings?

Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:40:14 -0600

B. Estrade wrote:

> Finland looks like a nice place, but like I say, I don't think you can honestly expect a place like the US to suddenly mirror it on a much, much larger scale.
>
> Brett

You hit it on the head. The US suffers from the problem of size. In
reality, the US is too large to mirror the Finns. The interests of one
group of people on the East Coast are vastly different than the
interests of those in Utah or the West Coast. And I know they are
different than the interests of folks on the Gulf Coast (example,
mention coastal or wetlands erosion and observe the blank stares).

In a country the size of Finland, it is pretty easy for the country to
move as one. The lack of geographic diversity makes it much easier
for the country to have a unifying goal of high quality public education
and excellent social safety-net protections.

Supposedly the states and state governments are suppose to eliminate
this problem, but the only issue with that is you have a hodge podge of
different solutions. Just look at how the quality of education varies
from state to state, especially in math and science.