Re: [Nolug] Who usually shows up for meetings?

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 11:46:39 -0600

Jeremy (mailing list box) wrote:
> B. Estrade wrote:
>>
>> Finland looks like a nice place, but like I say, I don't think you
>> can honestly expect a place like the US to suddenly mirror it on a
>> much, much larger scale.
>>
>> Brett
>
> You hit it on the head. The US suffers from the problem of size.
> In reality, the US is too large to mirror the Finns. The interests
> of one group of people on the East Coast are vastly different than the
> interests of those in Utah or the West Coast. And I know they are
> different than the interests of folks on the Gulf Coast (example,
> mention coastal or wetlands erosion and observe the blank stares).

Additional problem, which actually has nothing to do with the size of
the country is the way of thinking. I was wondering about this stuff
some time back and could not figure out how come some simple things,
which I know, can be done better, but here still are not. My wife gave
quite plausible explanation.
Here in US, most people think along the lines of "me, me, me, then me".
In Finland, most people think what is good for "us", knowing that when
we are doing well, I'm doing well.

That is something which is very difficult next to impossible to change,
and if the leading people are willing to go to that direction, it would
still take decades.

Petri