[Nolug] mysql vs postgres

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 13:56:49 -0600
Ron,

you asked about which wiki I found the comparison....
It was this: http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/MySQL_vs_PostgreSQL

And more specifically in my case:

MySQL supports INSERT IGNORE and REPLACE statements which inserts if a row exists and does nothing otherwise or replaces the current row, respectively.

PostgreSQL supports neither of these statements and suggests using stored procedures to get around the lack of these statements. However, there are major shortcomings:

There was some other insert method in mysql addition to the above, but I do not remember it now. But the functionality was such that the row gets updated if it exists, otherwise inserted.

Petri