RE: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:49:08 -0600

Hi Jeremy.

> I think you may have take the term incentive to little. I'm not
> talking about compensation, I'm talking about the ability to enjoy the
> fruits of one's time and effort.

I do count money as an incentive, but I agree that it isn't the only one. The
rest don't go far when it comes to paying the rent, however. Or are you just
considering part-time programmers?

Also, I might consider it a negative incentive to see a company pick up
something I wrote and sell it. They make money off my labor and I get nothing.

> Unless you have entered into an agreement AND are compensated for your
> time while creating, the results of your effort are yours.

So your view only applies to hobby efforts?

> ... but the idea that original author maintains rights and
> control over something that is not his own work is wrong.

His rights include disallowing you from patching his program. Why you wrote the
patch and the amount of time you spent doing it is irrelevant. The author's
rights existed before you started.

Copyrights can be sold like anything else. A programmer being paid for writing
a program (and transferring the rights to the payer) is a good example.

Regards,

John

   John Souvestre - Integrated Data Systems - (504) 355-0609