Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:07:16 -0600

Ron Johnson wrote:
> There are problems with it, specifically the DMCA and basically-
> infinite lengths of copyright, but copyrights and patents *are* important.

I agree. A big problem is that the copyright system tends chill a lot
of innovative ideas and content. For example, for years people have
tried to remix and fiddle with Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall".
   The pieces were undeniably VERY different, but in all but one notable
case, they were pulled or order out of existence. When a system chills
out expression, there is a problem.

> Besides, even though you may not like certain laws, you still follow
> them anyway, while working to change them, because that's how civil
> societies survive.

I guess civil disobedience is a dead concept then, no?