Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:17:22 -0600

On 12/15/08 10:07, Jeremy (mailing list box) wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> There are problems with it, specifically the DMCA and basically-
>> infinite lengths of copyright, but copyrights and patents *are*
>> important.
>
> I agree. A big problem is that the copyright system tends chill a lot
> of innovative ideas and content. For example, for years people have
> tried to remix and fiddle with Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall".
> The pieces were undeniably VERY different, but in all but one notable
> case, they were pulled or order out of existence. When a system chills
> out expression, there is a problem.

PF has the right, which I defend, to release their music any way
they wish, just as I defend MSFT's right to release closed-source s/w.

>> Besides, even though you may not like certain laws, you still follow
>> them anyway, while working to change them, because that's how civil
>> societies survive.
>
> I guess civil disobedience is a dead concept then, no?

Civilized disobedience like the March To Selma, or uncivilized
disobedience like the anarchists mob attacks at global trade meetings?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA