Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:52:10 -0500

> Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>> And the GPL gives him that right, but it also demands something in
>> return — that he publish the source to his patch.
>
> Basically what it demands is that the author surrender the ability to
> choose how his/her work should be licensed and released.

Sure.

When you decide you don't want to start your own business and decide to
look for a job, you're making the same decision. Surrendering your work
to be used by your employer however they see fit in exchange for a
paycheck.

It is a rational exchange.

The GPL is the same way: I want to build on some software and
contribute to its success. And I'm not that concerned about having
complete control over the result of my work — especially since I know
that copyright's legal framework will preserve my access to the work.

Another rational exchange.

> Seriously, living in America, I'm surprised that I'm the only one that
> sees that as unequivocally wrong.

Perhaps the rest of us don't think that America is an Ayn Rand novel.

> Any law that permits someone to license their software in such a way
> that you can compel another person to do something with work that they
> have done, even if they don't want to, is flat out wrong.

Wow, I can't help but read that as:

    Any law that allows someone to control how their work is used and
    dictate the terms under which others can use their work is flat out
    wrong.

And then I think to myself “Do we live in the same America?”

Mark.