Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:34:44 -0600

(Something about your email setup isn't wrapping your text.)

On 12/15/08 14:10, B. Estrade wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 02:04:58PM -0600, Joey Kelly wrote:
>>> I therefore favor those licenses that permit the most real freedom. And from
>>> my naive understanding, among them would be BSD and Public Domain (ala
>>> SQLite).
>> I guess I can jump in here, now that I'm back in town.
>>
>> BSD has often been equated to a license to steal, and in fact Microsoft
>> "stole" the BSD networking stack for NT4. The license allows no actual
>> stealing, but it comes pretty close. Sure, you can argue otherwise, but if you
>
> There must be some value to the project if large, successful
> projects use it...the BSD License's namesake, included (i.e.,
> FreeBSD).

Not everyone hates the BSD license like you seem to hate the GPL.
"They" are free to release their code under the BSDL just as "we"
are free to release our code under the GPL.

> For me, the license doesn't try to manipulate me into
> aiding some larger agenda being pushed by some self-appointed
> guru. I reject being a party to this much more vehemently that I
> reject the notion of some company using my code snippets.

Many of us like the GPL even though we think RMS is a nut job.

>> write code, anyone can take it and do what they want with it, and they owe you
>> little-to-nothing in return. Money isn't the currency in question... their
>> changes are theirs, and you can't use their modifications, unless they decide
>> to be nice to you. They can change the license AFAIK, or at least that's what
>> Microsoft did, unless I'm sorely mistaken.
>

> I am okay with this. Besides, nothing I write is going to be
> included in anything, so I don't care. Also, asking for a little
> bit of credit is probably going to go over much better than asking
> for a commercial software entity to make their bread and butter
> free for the taking because they used some crappy free code.

Remind me not to do business with a company who's bread and butter
is based on crappy code.

>> I am definitely a believer in the GPL, by the way (version 2, at least). I can
>> see Jeremy's point, and apparently I've forgotten his back story, but I'm no
>> fan of anything except GPL-licensed code. Anyhow, if you don't like the terms
>> a particular application is released under, there's always freshmeat.

Freshmeat? What does a web site have to do with s/w licensing?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA