Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:57:11 -0500

> John Souvestre wrote:
>> Hi Jeremy.
>>
>> > I believe the law is severely broken. Any law that permits someone to
>> > license their software in such a way that you can compel another person
>> > to do something with work that they have done, even if they don't want
>> > to, is flat out wrong.
>>
>> In other words, you don't like a system in which the author is free to license
>> as he chooses. You believe that the user should be able to dictate the terms
>> just because he expended an ounce of effort.
>
> Can you and Mark at least get the opposing position right when you try
> to argue for or against it?

We don't agree. He likes the BSD and I like the GPL.

Two people who don't think alike, are 100s of miles away from each
other, and have no communication outside this list have come up with
similar interpretations of your statements that you say don't represent
what you believe.

Until you can come up with a coherent statement that reflects what you
believe and shows why John's interpretation is wrong, I don't think
further discussion will get us anywhere.

Mark.