Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:25:33 -0600

Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> What you've attempted to do here is make the BSD into something it
> isn't. In fact, if you look at how Sun uses the GPL to license Java or
> how MySQL uses the GPL to license their database, you'll see that they
> are doing exactly what you want.

Obviously it isn't something the BSD isn't, rather it is intended to fix
the issues with the BSD license and code theft. It is a better license
than the BSD in that regard because it allows proprietary software to be
created so long as the author is given the opportunity to request
compensation. Properly crafted and tweak, a change like that would
allow there to be one license to embody the concept of the BSD and GPL
license while allowing for the integration of open source code into
closed source projects. The concept is better than the either the BSD
license or the GPL by itself. It embodies the concepts of both
licenses, allowing the source to stay available to everyone, while at
the same time permitting commercial integration pursuant to the author's
permission and eliminating the issue of programmers not getting
compensated when their work is used for commercial purposes.

> People who want to make proprietary versions of GPLed software have that
> option, they just have to negotiate the terms with the copyright holder.

Interesting that you say that because the software firms I've been in
contact with over the years all see the GPL license on a piece of
software as a deterrent to doing just that. Dual licensing also
creates it own headaches.

> In fact, where there are multiple copyright holders for BSD licensed
> software, adding terms like you have above would make your modified BSD
> license just as much an impediment to creating proprietary software as
> the GPL is.

A quasi-legal organization, like the FSF, could act as an intermediary
between interested commercial projects and open source developers to
control that problem. The developer could easily register his software
with that organization with a notation regard individual polices toward
code integration into commercial projects. It would be like a
centralized clearing house for licensing inquiries.

If people are willing to make it work, it could work. Problem that I
see is that most developers have a seemingly myopic devotion to either
the GPL, BSD or some other license.