Re: [Nolug] RMS vs Cisco (Round 1 *ding*ding*)

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 01:13:06 -0600

On 12/16/08 00:25, Jeremy Sliwinski (mailing list account) wrote:
> Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>> What you've attempted to do here is make the BSD into something it
>> isn't. In fact, if you look at how Sun uses the GPL to license Java or
>> how MySQL uses the GPL to license their database, you'll see that they
>> are doing exactly what you want.
>
> Obviously it isn't something the BSD isn't, rather it is intended to fix
> the issues with the BSD license and code theft. It is a better license

Why do people keep on mentioning "theft" in the same sentence as the
BSDL, when it specifically *allows* companies to take the code and
turn it into a close-source product.

(In fact, I contend that the BSDL encouraging market differentiation
was the proximate cause of the Unix Wars, and that companies like
IBM & DEC/HP learned that lesson, which is why they are so strongly
backing the GPL'd Linux kernel.)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA