[Nolug] On Sharing

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:54:52 -0500

Since there has been so much discussion here about licensing software, I
think what my friend and co-worker Dave wrote is appropriate:

    At Red Hat it was second nature to just share - whatever it was - no
    questions asked. At other places I have worked, there was and is a
    real fear to sharing. That to me is the key - people are afraid to
    share. Afraid their ideas will be stolen, they will lose business,
    lose recognition.

    But where does this fear come from?
        — http://dave.ofmassdestruction.com/?p=1034

He's worked in the Linux arena (Red Hat) and now we both work at the
same non-profit to develop and promote GPLed software in the developing
world.

It is fascinating how lack of a profit motive doesn't change people's
tendencies to avoid sharing — at least in our culture.

Mark.