[Nolug] Linux systems administrator position

From: Dustin Puryear <dustin_at_puryear-it.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:36:45 -0600

Good news! Puryear IT is looking for a Linux geek. You'll be working
directly for me with our clients to help build and manage Linux and UNIX
solutions. Some experience with Windows is important because we often
work with and maintain Windows-based solutions as well, including Active
Directory.

You need to be willing to work in Baton Rouge, since the majority of our
clients are here, but we also do a good bit of telecommuting. If you
don't live in Baton Rouge that is fine, but, again, the work itself is here.

This is an excellent position to really hone your skills since we do
some really cool work, especially in network security and identity and
access management.

Interested? Or know someone that is? Contact me directly at
jobs@puryear-it.com with your cover letter, resume, and salary
requirements. We are open to undergrad and grad students so long as you
can put in the hours.

Job Purpose:

Maintains computing environment by identifying Linux system
requirements; installing upgrades; monitoring system performance.

Duties:

* Establishes Linux system specifications by conferring with users;
analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements;
designing Linux system infrastructure.

* Establishes Linux system by planning and executing the selection,
installation, configuration, and testing of PC and server hardware,
software, LAN and WAN networks, and Linux operating and system
management systems; defining system and operational policies and procedures.

* Maintains Linux system performance by performing system monitoring and
analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting system hardware,
software, networks and operating and system management systems;
designing and running Linux system load/?stress testing; escalating
application problems to vendor.

* Secures Linux system by developing system access, monitoring, control,
and evaluation; establishing and testing disaster recovery policies and
procedures; completing back-ups; maintaining documentation.

* Prepares users by designing and conducting Linux training programs;
providing references and support.

* Upgrades Linux system by conferring with vendors and services;
developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements and new
software.

* Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities;
reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks;
participating in professional organizations.

* Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.

* Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for
accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add
value to job accomplishments.

Skills/Qualifications:

Linux, System Administration, Developing Standards, LAN Knowledge, Proxy
Servers, Training , Multi-tasking, On-Call, Networking Knowledge,
Network Hardware Configuration, Network Maintenance

--
Dustin Puryear
President and Sr. Consultant