[Nolug] Re: Music and Technology

From: Chris Jones <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:41:02 -0600

That actually sounds incredibly cool. I might try to go. A friend and I
are actually about halfway done recording an album. We're doing industrial
music, and I'm pretty much the technology guru of our group, and I'm trying
to teach him as much as I can to get him closer to my level, like he doesn't
know anything about MIDI, and I'm trying to be as MIDI geared as possible.
I've built a big DAW setup, running Logic Studio on both a Mac Pro 8 core
and a Macbook Pro, and we've got a decent collection of synths between the
two of us, I've got a Nord Lead 2x, a Doepfer modular, an MFB drum machine,
a Yamaha CS1x, and he's got a Roland Fantom X6 and a bunch of circuit bent
toys...

An idea that we have been working on lately, is we're trying to find a good
way to do online collaboration. It has gotten to be a real pain for me to
pack up all my gear and bring it to his place, or vice versa, and it's
really hampering our progress. If we could somehow jam together online, it
would make our lives a lot easier. We've found a couple of things, but it
seems like they want you to use their screwy web software as your DAW, and I
don't think MIDI is supported. It's more of a multitrack player that allows
you to import and export WAV files or something I believe. He found it and
I'm going to check it out, I know there are a few other things out there,
but maybe some of the people in NOLUG or at that 2600 thing might know a
better solution? I think for something like that, I'd prefer if there was
something like SVN for music production... I just haven't found anything
like that yet, but I bet something like that exists.