Re: Hate Linux?? (was Re: [Nolug] Woo hoo!!! On-line with wireless!!!)

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:27:58 -0500

James Thompson wrote:
> Yeah. My desktop complaint applies to both, but the better engineering
> might make some difference. What the *nix world needs is something other
> than X-based GUIs since I tend to think that is the restricting element.

I don't know if it is X that is the problem or just the folks designing
the GUIs. Yes, X is long in the tooth, but it is just the display
layer. If the designers of the GUI don't put the time or have the
skill to design an intuitive UI, the experience is going to suck for the
user.

If you look at Windows and OS X, you are looking at the work of folks
who do nothing all day but work on UIs. And both companies spend a lot
of time and effort dealing with everyday, average Joe users while
developing the UI for their products.

The problem with the community approach to OSS is that sometime folks
forget that the community is only a small subset of the computer using
population. So something that might be intuitive to a bunch of
pimply-face basement dwellers might not be intuitive to folks who just
want it to work. Hell, when a technical user like myself has to search
for the option to change something like a desktop theme or the
resolution of my screen, just imagine the headache the average user is
going to have while trying to find the web browser or adjust the volume.

Jeremy