[Nolug] BSD vs GPL

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:27:38 -0400

I remember the conversation from a few months back on the BSD vs GPL and
thought Zed Shaw captured this perfectly:

    What I’m seeing is the following double standard among BSD license
    users:

        1. If you are a commercial company like Apple or Google then BSD
        licensors love you and want you to have “true freedom”.

        2. If you are a GPL project, they pressure you into releasing
        your code BSD licensed and get offended because you use their
        code.

    You cannot have it both ways people. Either your code is “truly
    free” for everyone to use, or it’s not and you need to change the
    license. If you BSD license it, and a GPL project uses it, well, I’m
    sorry to say, but you chose that license so everyone could use your
    code how they want

(From http://zedshaw.com/blog/2009-07-15.html)

--
http://hexmode.com/
Every day, mindful practice.  When the mind is disciplined, then the