Re: [Nolug] BSD vs GPL

From: James Thompson <james_at_plainprograms.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:42:36 -0700

I use the MIT license for almost all my code for the reason that David
Heinemeier Hansson outlined in his Rails keynote from 2006:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rooreynolds/243810133/

I'm not concerned with who uses my code or how it's used. I don't
program for the same reason that Zed does (I don't actually get paid
to program in reality), but I see the value of the GPL and its kin. If
I released things beyond libraries and small discreet programs I would
probably use the AGPL/GPL in order to keep folks who want to extend my
work honest. But for most of the code I write from scratch I want as
few encumbrances as possible to the person who wants to use my work.

I like Zed's first point from the previous post though
(http://zedshaw.com/blog/2009-07-13.html): It's the author's right!

Whatever the person who writes the code wants to do with their code is
their business.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Mark A. Hershberger<mah@everybody.org> wrote:

> I remember the conversation from a few months back on the BSD vs GPL and
> thought Zed Shaw captured this perfectly:
>
>    What I’m seeing is the following double standard among BSD license
>    users:
>
>        1. If you are a commercial company like Apple or Google then BSD
>        licensors love you and want you to have “true freedom”.
>
>        2. If you are a GPL project, they pressure you into releasing
>        your code BSD licensed and get offended because you use their
>        code.
>
>    You cannot have it both ways people. Either your code is “truly
>    free” for everyone to use, or it’s not and you need to change the
>    license. If you BSD license it, and a GPL project uses it, well, I’m
>    sorry to say, but you chose that license so everyone could use your
>    code how they want
>
> (From http://zedshaw.com/blog/2009-07-15.html)
>
> --
> http://hexmode.com/
>
> Every day, mindful practice.  When the mind is disciplined, then the
> Way can work for us.  Otherwise, all we do is talk of the Way; everything
> is just words; and the world will know us as its one great fool.

James Thompson
Plain Programs
New Orleans, LA
P: (502) 619.0353